First Novel Coronavirus-Related Death Outside China Recorded In The Philippines Says WHO Official

According to the World Health Organization official, the first nCov-related death outside China was recorded in the Philippines.

Based on the press statement of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, a 44-year-old man from Wuhan, China died on Saturday, February 1, 2020. He arrived in the Philippines last month or on January 21, 2020 via Hong Kong. That was also tagged as the country’s second confirmed case of the novel coronavirus.

“This is the first reported death outside China,” Dr. Rabindra Abeyasinghe, WHO Representative in the Philippines.

The Chinese man was a companion of the 38-year-old Chinese woman who was declared positive with the said virus last week. She was reported to be an asymptomatic patient as of January 30 according to health authorities.

The health secretary also mentioned that the two foreigners were admitted for isolation and supportive in a government hospital in the City of Manila.

The said Chinese man got admitted to a hospital last January 25 where he experienced fever, cough, and sore throat said, Secretary Duque.

“Over the course of the patient’s admission, he developed severe pneumonia. In his last few days, the patient was stable and showed signs of improvement. However, the condition of the patient deteriorated within the last 24 hours, resulting in his demise,” he added.

The DoH plans to cremate the remains of the deceased nCov patient to contain the disease.

“We are currently working with the Chinese Embassy to ensure the dignified management of the remains according to national and international standards to contain the disease,” Secretary Duque added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *